Technology Column

Multi-factor authentication is promising, but not foolproof

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Multi-factor authentication is a way for users to verify their login on different accounts using codes.

Multi-factor authentication, a relatively new way for users to verify their login on different accounts, has been implemented to the Syracuse University campus just a few days ago. Basically how MFA works is this: You login to your email, type in your login credentials, then verify a code sent to one of your devices.

While annoying, it’s admirable that SU is trying to protect students against hackers and information thefts. As college students, we’re very vulnerable to different kinds of threats on the internet, and this simply adds protection to your account.

“Two factor authentication makes it very difficult for unauthorized users to gain access to student accounts, which contain very sensitive information,” said Zachary Smith, President of Information Security Club. “It’s something that is being implemented in many organizations, and should be considered a new standard.”

But of course, everything comes with some disadvantages. With MFA, logging in to a new device means going through this entire process again, codes and all. This also means that, for every new Microsoft app, you have to do multi-factor authentication.

This makes it inconvenient, and outweighs the pros — just imagine signing into a new device in class to give a presentation.

Security technology is certainly always maturing, but there are still problems with it. And frankly, it seems impossible to have 100 percent account security. But despite that, SU has still implemented MFA. This shows we can keep expecting the university to attempt to keep up with innovative security such as this, whether it works or not, so students might as well learn how to get along with it.

Eldon Tsoi is a sophomore information management technology and accounting major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at eltsoi@syr.edu.